After seven years without a Valentine, one could say I’ve become somewhat of an expert at riding solo in Sacramento on a day that’s typically reserved for couples (le sigh).
Over the years I’ve learned to embrace the freedom of being without a “plus one” and lean into activities that encourage self-care and reflection, but also those that might push me out of my comfort zone—dining alone, anyone?!
As I mentioned today on Studio40 LIVE, below are some of my favorite “single gal” activities for Valentine’s Day (or any day for that matter!) and ones you’ll likely find me doing this weekend and beyond, especially as the weather warms up.
Pamper + zen out
No man, no problem! Treat yourself to a day of self-care + pampering. Below are my favorite ways to unwind in Sacramento…
- Get a mani / pedi! I love Monet Nails in East Sac. It’s adorably appointed, bright and cheery and literally every nail technician I’ve gone to has been fantastic!
- Book a massage! My go-to spot in Sac (Midtown + Arden) is Active Bodywork. While it’s not a spa-like atmosphere, they offer a variety of massage styles by incredible therapists. And I have a discount for you!! Use code ActiveSR for 20% off your first session!
- Sink into a cathartic epsom salt float at Capitol Floats or heat up in their infrared sauna. I try do both weekly and always feel so relaxed after. Use code capitolfloatssr for various discounts ($15 off single float, $15 off 3-pack float and $10 off sauna)!
- Head to Asha Urban Baths and hang out in the bathhouse or book a salt room session!
- Find your flow with yoga! My current faves are Zuda Yoga for vinyasa and Purely Hot Yoga for 26+2 hot yoga. DOMA is also fantastic, and includes a mix of both flow and hot yoga, and then I’ve heard great things about Urban Yogi—a new yoga spot in Midtown—which I’m looking forward to trying soon!
Get outside for a date with nature
Pack a lunch (and plenty of water and sunscreen) and go for a hike! One of my favorite ways to disconnect from the chaos of everyday life and reconnect with myself is to get outside. Below are a few of my favorite Sacramento area hikes…
- Stevens Trail in Colfax
- Homestead / Blue Ridge Trail in Winters
- Lake Clementine Trail (Clementine Dam + Foresthill Bridge) in Auburn
Or, grab a friend, hop on some Jump Bikes and ride around town to look at all the Wide Open Wall murals throughout Sacramento, stopping for drinks + bites along the way! This one’s still on my bucket list!!
Go for a picnic
Avoid the couples crowd at restaurants and instead, do a picnic in the park! Bring a good book, put on your favorite podcast or just lay under the trees and listen to the breeze at one of the beautiful parks below…
- McKinley Park in East Sac
- William Land Park
- John C. Fremont Park in Midtown
- California State Capitol Park downtown
- River Walk Park in West Sac
Table for one
And if you’re feeling bold, do as I do: lean into being alone and treat yourself to a solo dinner at your favorite restaurant! Snag a table for one with your book or sit at the bar and savor your single gal meal with a delicious glass of wine or cocktail (dirty vodka martini, please!), striking up conversations with the bartender or your bar stool neighbor…you never know where it can lead!
Here are some of my favorite spots in Sac to dine alone (or with friends)…
Cheers to all my single ladies (and fellas) and happy self-loving this Valentine’s Day weekend and throughout the year!
S A D Y E
Image source: Martha Stewart