Man, these past few weeks have been a doozy. Do you ever feel like your head is spinning so fast that you don’t know which direction is up, down, forward or backward, and as if all the days sort of just blend together and not in a good way? That’s essentially where I’m at right now. Work is crazy—hence my three week blogging hiatus—and after two and a half years of this, I’m finally realizing that it’s NEVER going to change.
It’s usually about this time (two weeks prior to one of my big events), when I’m feeling frazzled, sleep deprived and as if I’ll never have a normal schedule (or personal life) again, that I start reflecting on my non-work life to see where I can eliminate unnecessary noise and clutter in order to focus my limited free time on the things that bring me true joy and happiness. I like to think of it as spring cleaning for life, only I do it every few months and usually when I’m feeling like I need to regain some control. Old habits (e.g. type-A personality traits) die hard, I guess.
Enter the 100-Day Project: Sadye’s edition. The 100-Day Project was created by San Francisco-based artist and author Elle Luna and the concept is essentially to create something new every day for 100 days. The notion of committing to 100 days straight of creativity is a novel one, but it’s just not realistic for me, hence the “Sadye’s edition” add-on above. In my version, I’m committing to doing more creatively during the designated time frame (April 19 through July 27) and being more mindful of how I spend my free time, but if I don’t create something every single one of those 100 days, I’m going to let myself off the proverbial hook. ‘Cause let’s be real—I work full-time, I teach spin and I’d still like to squeeze in some sleep and the occasional social time, too.
This creative movement officially started a little over a week ago, on April 19, and while I had every intention to post about this last Tuesday, life (read: work) got in the way, which gives even more credence for why I’ve decided to embark on this journey.
In order to accomplish this goal I’ll be backing off the dating scene (I’ve even deleted my Tinder and Bumble accounts), but don’t worry; I have several funny stories stockpiled so I’ll continue to share some of my best Tinder tales and Bumble fumbles.
It also means that I’ll likely post less frequently here so as to reserve more of my free time to focus on designing and DIY’ing and completely immersing myself in the creative process. My hope is that at the end of the next 100 days, I’ll have a lot of amazing content, ideas and designs to share with you.
Throughout this process I’ll be posting progress pics on Instagram (you can follow me here) and to give you an idea of what’s to come, below is the list of projects I’ll be working on…
- Finish sewing new pillows (I just made these)
- Finish my lighting project (view progress here, here + here)
- Sew + install curtains for my kitchen windows (I’m leaning toward custom roman shades)
- Create/collect art for my kitchen walls
- Add more styling elements
- New desk
- Install + style shelves
- DIY custom inspiration board
- Paint filing cabinets (I have some fun ideas for this project)
- Sew + install curtains
- Create/collect art + photographs for a killer gallery wall
- New rug
- New credenza
- Reupholster this mid-century modern chair (I might hire this one out…)
- Sew, sew, sew…
- Design + build custom headboard (with help from my friend Kevin Hartsoch of HCM General Contracting; for all my Sacramento locals, he’s a full-service general contractor with incredible attention to detail—I highly recommend him for any building or remodeling needs)
- Sew, sew, sew…
- Reupholster this antique chair (I might hire this one out…)
- Refinish a mid-century modern nightstand (for left side of bed)
- Create custom floating shelf nightstand (for right side of bed)
- Paint this 1930’s dresser
- New rug
- Plus a few other fun surprises….
- Sew + install new shade for window
- Add more styling elements (e.g. another plant + candle // maybe a painting)
It’s going to be a busy 100 days, but I’m up (and excited) for the challenge. I can’t wait to share all the reveals with you! Stay tuned…
– S A D Y E E V Y N R E I S H
Photo source: Elle Luna